Replace the damaged or worn steering gear in your 2009-2012 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4WD (For Trucks With 4-Bolt Top Cover) with the RedHead Steering Gears 2880-3T Steering Box (4-Bolt Cover). Remanufactured from quality materials, each RedHead Steering Box is built to be stronger than the OE unit. Family owned and operated, RedHead has more than 40 years of experience specializing in steering boxes. Each Steering Box is built for a direct-fit installation that fits in the factory location.
- Direct-Fit Replacement
- Meets & Exceeds Factory Specs
- Shafts Are Flame Sprayed Or Replaced As Needed
- New Control Valves Installed On Some Applications
- Housing Are Machined And Needle Bearings Installed
- Sealing Surface Polished To A Higher Polish Than New
- Sector Shaft Checked On A Lathe For Straight And True
- Worm And Piston Assembled With New Precision Fit Steel Ball Bearings
- Ratio: 15:1 (3 Turns)
- Input: 2 Flat With A Notch
- Output: 44 Spline Sector (Centered), 4 Master Splines
- Fittings: O-Ring
- Weight: 34.00 lbs
HOW DO I BLEED, OR PURGE AIR, FROM MY STEERING GEAR BOX SYSTEM?
- After installing the gearbox, fill the system with fluid.
- Raise the front wheels off the ground, do not start the vehicle.
- Work the steering wheel back and forth, lock to lock, 15-20 times.
- Leave the vehicle sit (overnight is best) at least 2 hours
- Top the pump reservoir off again.
- Work the steering wheel back and forth again 7-10 times
- Have a person in the vehicle and another at the pump reservoir with a container of fluid & funnel ready to pour if necessary.
- Instruct the person in the vehicle to start the engine. As soon as this happens, if the fluid level drops, be ready to pour in more fluid. The level must be kept at an almost full level or it will suck in air again.
- If this procedure is followed properly, the air problem will be solved.
- Fits 2001-2004 Ford Super Duty trucks and Ford Excursion.
- Also fits the 1999-2000 Ford Super Duty trucks that have the 36 spline sector/output shaft.
- All 2001-2004 Ford Super Duty's and 2001-2005 Excursion's came with the 36 spline sector from the factory.
- For 1999 and 2000 please check sector shaft spline count. This unit has 36 splines.
- For reference please view the third picture - if you have 9 spline peaks between each master spline, and there is 4 master splines, 9 times 4 = 36 splines